Internal and External Change Agents
When choosing between internal or external change agents, organizations should consider following advantages and disadvantages of each option:
Advantages of Internal CAs:
- Possess better knowledge of the organization and are more quickly available.
- Have more control and authority and require lower out-of-pocket costs.
Disadvantages of Internal CAs:
- May be too close to the problem and may hold biased views.
- May create additional resistance if viewed as part of the problem.
- Must be reassigned, so that they are not available for other work.
Advantages of External CAs:
- Have special experience in dealing with diverse problems.
- Have more objective views of the organization and its problems.
- Possess more technical knowledge, skills and competence.
Disadvantages of External CAs:
- Require out-of-pocket costs.
- Have less knowledge of the organization and require longer start-up time.